Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Right-handed


That's me - right-handed. And I use my right hand for EVERYTHING. I cook, I clean, I write... and those are the basics. Then there are the other things I do "for fun" that tax my right hand even more - or more specifically - my wrist. I knit, crochet, cross-stitch. I take photos. I use my computer... and my laptop mouse is powered by my right pointer finger and directed with my wrist. All that said, my right wrist tends to have painful flare-ups of what I think is probably carpal tunnel syndrome, but it hasn't actually been diagnosed. So when I have a flare-up, I have a wrist brace I have to wear to keep my wrist still. I can still do all my usual stuff, but without twisting my wrist, therefore helping the painful flare-up to go away. Wouldn't you know it - I'm having a flare up right now. I had loaned my wrist brace to my sister-in-law Sarah who badly sprained her right wrist in an accident in December. (She happens to also have major carpal tunnel issues in her right wrist, too). She misplaced it but thankfully has two other braces which I am now borrowing. It's such a pain, but my oh my does it feel so much better to have my wrist STILL. Makes all my daily activities a little harder, especially taking pictures, typing, cross-stitching... that sort of thing. So here's my right hand in all it's wrapped up glory. And my Nikon (love!). And my bathroom mirror. And squinty "I'm taking a picture" eye. ;-) And last but not least, my grown out highlights - man I need a haircut and highlights! Trying to hold out till just before Vegas...

1 comment:

carrielyns said...

I have carpel tunnel flare-ups as well. I have a wrist guard but I can only wear it when I'm sleeping because I can't do my job with it on. I actually have carpel tunnel in both wrists, but I literally am at a computer all day long (couldn't you tell???). I feel your pain (literally)!